Published on : 14 April 20213 min reading time
The different motorcycle chargers on the market
Depending on the type of your battery and its use, there are several types of chargers on the market:
- Automatic chargers: these types of chargers are often used in general use. Versatile, they are suitable for both motorcycles and cars.
- Waterproof chargers: they can be used while your vehicle is outside. Some models are solar powered.
- Smart chargers: these chargers allow to maintain the charge longer and to replace weak motors. They are often used for vehicles such as snowmobiles, scooters, garden tractors and even motor homes. They are called “smart” because they analyze the condition of the batteries to which they are connected. They also perform tests.
For more information, think about clicking here.
Choose the charger according to the output power of your battery
The charger replenishes the battery level. It guarantees a long charge and a low intensity. In case of sulphation, the more sophisticated models can ensure the repair of the batteries as well as its maintenance. Before buying a charger, you should first take some parameters into consideration. The first thing you should check when buying a charger is the charging power. This power generally depends on the type of battery it is to charge. The battery charging rule must be respected. It is therefore not recommended to use a car charger on a motorcycle battery in order not to degrade its intensity. On the other hand, if you want your battery to work well, it must not be completely discharged. You should therefore have a motorcycle charger available at all times.
Steps to take when charging a battery
There are 2 ways to recharge your battery:
- The first is to keep it on the bike while charging. This means turning on the kill switch and turning off the engine. The kill switch is usually located on the right handlebar.
- It is also possible to remove the battery from the motorcycle by loosening the terminals. In this case, you have to loosen the negative one (usually black) before loosening the positive one (usually red) to avoid the juice hits. As for the assembly, you must do the reverse, the red one first and then the black one after. If you do it the other way around, it can cause a fire or serious burns.